EXPRESS and Other New OWM Initiatives
EXPRESS Policy: Expedited Policy for Remediation of Environmental Simple Sites
Guidelines for Expedited Excavation and Disposal Response Actions
Guidelines for the Management of Historically Agricultural Properties for Future Use as Open Space and/or Recreational Land
NEW WEBPAGE TLA/Pond View Closure
WEBPAGE Portsmouth Landfill
Guidance for the Evaluation of Vapor Intrusion Potential in Proposed RI School Sites (Sept. 2012)
Office of Waste Management
Leo Hellested, PE; Chief
235 Promenade Street
Providence, RI 02908-5767
Contact OWM via E-Mail
The Office of Waste Management has two primary functions:
These functions are divided into four programs as listed below:
- To oversee the investigation and remediation of contaminated sites and releases from leaking underground storage tanks.
- To regulate and permit facilities that accept or transport solid, medical or hazardous waste or that store petroleum products in underground tanks.
- Underground Storage Tank Management Program- This program oversees the registration of Underground Storage Tanks (UST program) as well as the cleanup of Leaking Underground Storage Tanks (LUST program). (Click here for information about Aboveground Tank registration.)
- Waste Facilities Management Program- This program regulates facilities that receive Solid, Hazardous and Medical Waste and transporters of hazardous, medical and septage waste. It also oversees the closure of active and inactive landfills.
- Site Remediation Program- This program oversees the investigation and remediation of sites contaminated with hazardous materials and petroleum. This includes the redevelopment and reuse of sites commonly known as Brownfields.
- Superfund and Department of Defense Program- This program oversees the cleanup of NPL Sites (commonly referred to as "Superfund Sites") and sites used or formerly used by the Department of Defense. This program also oversees the evaluation of sites on EPA's CERCLIS List for consideration of action under the Superfund Program.