Wastewater Operator Certification
|Remember: Licensees are required to update the Board with new home addresses. Call Traci Pena at 222-4700, ext. 2410 when you move.
New: While the Board has a Facebook page for those interested, we will continue to use all existing methods of communications.
Wastewater treatment facility operator certification insures that only qualified individuals will operate the state's municipal and industrial wastewater treatment facilities. In total these facilities treat over 100 million gallons of municipal and industrial sewage each day before discharging the purified water back to the state's rivers and bays.
The licensing process is directed by the seven-member Board of Certification of Operators of Wastewater Treatment Facilities, which was established by Rhode Island General Law § 42-17.4 by the General Assembly in 1979. Board members act on behalf of their respective appointing organization to provide guidance and expertise. Regular monthly meetings are generally held the first Wednesday of the month at 9:30 AM at the offices of the Department of Environmental Management.
The meetings focus on current Board business, such as the disposition of applications by individuals applying for wastewater operator licensure in Rhode Island. Matters before the Board may also include revisions to regulations, requirements for certification to be imposed on individuals or municipalities, and other advisory opinions.
The Board is comprised of:
For more information E-Mail:
- Janet L. Baldwin, Ph.D., P.E., a professor of engineering at Roger Williams University;
- Paul Desrosiers, of NBC’s Fields Point WWTF, a representative of the Narragansett Water Pollution Control Association
- Julia Forgue of Newport, representing the Rhode Island League of Cities and Towns;
- Fred Kurdziel, a designee of the Director of RIDOH;
- Frank McLynch, of the Cranston WPCF, representing organized labor;
- Bill Patenaude, a designee of the Director of the RIDEM; and
- Jon Schock of South Kingstown, representing Rhode Island Municipal Public Works Officials.
Bill Patenaude (email@example.com)