DEM File Reviews
REGULATORY COORDINATION AND PUBLIC INFORMATION is essentially a customer service program to help the regulated community, both businesses and individuals, get the information they need to comply with regulations, and to simplify the regulatory process. A key aspect of this program is File Review Coordination; this function is conducted within the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management's (RI DEM) Office of Customer & Technical Assistance (OCTA). File reviews are coordinated for several different areas within the Department, such as:
- Air: Permits and Violations
- CERCLIS: Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Information System. This covers files related to Site Remediation.
- Dams: Any and all in Rhode Island
- Emergency Response: Responses to oil spills, Above Ground Storage Tank Registrations
- OWTS: Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (formerly ISDS: Individual Sewage Disposal Systems). All septic folders.
- LUST: Leaking Underground Storage Tanks
- RIPDES: Rhode Island Pollution Discharge Elimination System permits issued
- UIC: Underground Injection Control
- UST: Underground Storage Tanks
- Waste: National Priorities List, Landfills
- Wetlands: All Wetlands Folders
All file reviews are subject to RIGL 38-2, which is described on the Attorney General's website, "The Attorney General's Guide to Open Government". This information is also available for free by calling the Attorney General's office at (401) 274-4400.
File reviews are scheduled within 10 business days after the initial file review request has been received. Click here for a Request for Records Form. File reviews are conducted in OCTA on Tuesdays and Thursdays. To schedule a file review request, contact Angela Spadoni at (401) 222-4700, ext. 7307, via e-mail at Dem.email@example.com or via FAX at (401) 222-3810. OCTA is located at 235 Promenade Street - Suite 260, Providence, RI 02908.
For information about the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, its rules, regulations, jurisdictions, and programs, visit www.dem.ri.gov on the Internet.