Used Oil Recycling Program
Give Your Oil a Fresh Start
WHY SHOULD I RECYCLE USED OIL? PUT IT THIS WAY - IT'S BETTER THAN DRINKING IT!
Used motor oil is a large source of the pollution in our state's waterways. Every year, Rhode Island do-it-yourselfers discard an estimated 1.4 million gallons. Much of this goes down storm drains, on the ground (sometimes to kill weeds) or into a trashcan and then to a landfill. If it's disposed of in any of these ways it could contaminate ground or surface waters--used motor oil contains lead and other toxic substances. Here's what happens when oil and water mix:
- One quart of oil will foul the taste of 250,000 gallons of water.
- One pint of oil can create an acre-sized slick on surface water.
- Oil kills fish and other aquatic life. It can even be carried into our food.
- Oil poured down the drain can kill the bacteria needed to break down human wastes in the sewage treatment plant or in your septic system.
- Oil poured on the ground can poison neighboring wells.
THROWING AWAY USED OIL IS ALSO A WASTE
You have an oil well in your car! Oil never wears out; it just gets dirty! Recycling cleans the oil to be used again. Recycling oil saves a valuable resource, and helps cut down our reliance on overseas suppliers. Recycled oil is as good a lubricant as new oil. Or it can be burned as fuel to produce heat or electricity - it's as good as coal, and cleaner, too!
One gallon of used motor oil will produce more than one half-gallon of clean motor oil. It takes 42 gallons of crude oil to produce the same amount.
Since the program began in 1988, Rhode Island do-it-yourselfers have turned in over a million and a half gallons of used motor oil. That's quite a gusher for a state that's so much smaller than Texas!
HOW CAN I RECYCLE USED OIL?
Recycling used oil is as easy as 1-2-3.
- Drain used oil into a suitable container with a tight-fitting cap, such as a thoroughly rinsed, heavy, plastic jug, which can be used over and over.
Note: Never mix used motor oil with any other liquids, such as: antifreeze, gasoline, paint thinner, solvents, cooking oil, or water!
- Take the used oil to the Oil Recycling Facility in your community. Deposits are limited to five gallons.
- The used oil will be picked up for refining or reprocessing.
- Barrington - Public Works, 84 Upland Way. 247-1907.
- Bristol - Landfill, Minturn Road. 253-4100.
- Burrillville - Public Works, 65 Union Avenue, Harrisville. 568-4440.
- Central Falls - Public Works Garage, 53 River Street. 727-7466.
- Charlestown - Collection Center, Sand Hill Road. 364-1220.
- Coventry - Public Works, 1670 Flat River Road. 822-9110.
- Cranston - Public Works, 929 Phenix Avenue. 461-1000, ext. 3175.
- Cumberland - Public Works, Kent St. Garage, Blackstone Street. 723-7251.
- East Greenwich - Residents must get permits at Town Hall (886-8665). Transfer Station, Crompton Avenue.
- East Providence - Public Works Garage, 60 Commercial Way. 435-7710.
- Exeter - Transfer Station, Route 102, Ten Rod Road. 295-0392.
- Foster - Highway Garage, Foster Center Road. 392-9204.
- Glocester - Two sites, 568-5540. Transfer Station, 121 Chestnut Hill Road and the Highway Garage, 85 Chestnut Hill Road.
- Hopkinton/Westerly - Transfer Station, Westerly-Bradford Road. 348-2557.
- Jamestown - Transfer Station, 1218 North Main Road. 423-1067.
- Johnston - State Central Landfill, 65 Shun Pike, Johnston - Open to all state residents, 10 gallon maximum. 942-1430.
- Lincoln - Public Works Garage, Old River Road. 333-8424.
- Little Compton - Transfer Station, Colebrook Road. 635-4529.
- Middletown - Transfer Station, Burma Rd. 846-0019.
- Narragansett/South Kingstown - Transfer Station, 163 Rose Hill Rd. Peace Dale. 783-4554.
- New Shoreham - Transfer Station, West Beach Rd. 466-3234.
- Newport - Public Works, 70 Halsey Street. 849-2380.
- North Kingstown - Transfer Station, 601 Devils Foot Road. 295-4766, Ext. 224.
- North Providence - Public Works, 2 Mafalda Street. 233-1440.
- North Smithfield - Public Works, 281 Quaker Highway. 762-0541.
- Pawtucket - Transfer Station, Grotto Street. 728-0500, Ext 293.
- Portsmouth - Transfer Station, Hedley Street. 683-4419.
- Providence - Public Works Garage, 22 Ernest Street. 467-7950
- Richmond - Transfer Station, 51 Buttonwoods Road. 539-8474.
- Scituate - Public Works, Trimtown Road. 647-3366.
- Smithfield - Public Works, 3 Spragueville Road. 233-1034.
- South Kingstown/Narragansett - Transfer Station, 163 Rose Hill Road, Peacedale. 783-4554.
- State Central Landfill - 65 Shun Pike, Johnston - Open to all state residents, 10 gallon maximum. 942-1430.
- Tiverton - Public Works, 50 Industrial Way. 625-6760.
- Warren - Public Works Highway Garage, Birch Swamp Road. 245-3910.
- Warwick - Public Works, 925 Sandy Lane. 738-2000, ext. 6513.
- West Greenwich - Transfer Station, Bates Trail. 397-6110.
- West Warwick - Public Works, 10 Junior Street. 822-9225.
- Westerly/Hopkinton - Transfer Station, Westerly-Bradford Road. 348-2517.
Need More Information? Contact DEM at (40l) 222-4700, Ext. 4412.