CORONAVIRUS RELIEF FUND/CARES ACT GRANT PROGRAM
Rhode Island Indoor Sports Venue Support Fund
The Rhode Island Indoor Sports Venue Support Fund will distribute up to $1 million in grant funding to help Rhode Island-based indoor sports venues recover the costs of business interruption resulting from pandemic-caused closures from Monday, November 2, 2020 to Sunday, November 8, 2020 as mandated under Executive Order 20-90, section 34.
Jump to topics:
Back to top
Grant Award Amounts
Grant awards of up to $35,000 are available per facility to replace lost revenue during the closure period.Back to top
Grant Program Eligibility
In order to be eligible for this program applicants must meet the following criteria.
• Indoor Sports Venue Operator: The applicant must be an organization, other than an excluded organization, that operates one or more of the following indoor sports venues in Rhode Island: indoor ice rinks, multi-use sports facilities, basketball courts, tennis courts, swimming pools, tracks, squash facilities, etc. Excluded organizations:
- Public educational institutions or their affiliates
- Municipal-owned or government-owned facilities
• Subject to Closure Under Executive Order 20-90: Applicants must have closed their indoor sports venues entirely or cancelled prohibited activities in their indoor sports venues for the period of November 2 through November 8, as required by Executive Order 20-90, section 34.
• Revenue Loss: Applicants must have suffered a revenue loss of at least $2,000 as a result of the closure required under Executive Order 20-90, section 34.
• Good Standing: Applicant must be in good standing with the Rhode Island Secretary of State’s office and the Rhode Island Division of Taxation.Back to top
Grant Program Requirements
In order to qualify, applicants must provide the following:
- A completed grant application;
- Backup documentation quantifying a financial loss. The grantee may choose one of the following two methodologies for quantifying a financial loss:
- 1. Replacement of Qualifying Revenues: An itemized list of all rentals or reservations cancelled showing: 1) the date and time of scheduled rental; 2) the name and contact information of the person or organization who was scheduled to rent the facility; 3) the amount of the rental; and 4) whether the rental was unpaid and waived, or refunded and the amount of the refund. A listing of all other qualifying revenues can be included as well; or
- 2. Net Reduction of Revenue from Prior Year to this Year: An itemized list of all qualifying revenues, including paid rentals or reservations for the time period November 4, 2019 to November 10, 2019, and an itemized list of all qualifying revenues, including paid rentals or reservations for the time period November 2, 2020 to November 8, 2020. The grant amount would be 2019 revenue less 2020 revenue during this time period.
Final grants amounts will be based on the loss demonstrated, but also subject to available funds and may be based on a pro rata distribution depending on the volume of applications received.Back to top
Eligible Uses of Program Funds:
Program funds can be used to cover costs of business interruption, which can be used to cover revenue losses and costs incurred as during the period of November 2 to November 8, including:
- Lost payment or reimbursements for classes or reservations of ice or field time.
- Payroll expenses, including employee wages, overtime, payroll support, or hazard pay. Important to note: staff bonuses or any type of one-time payment is not an allowable use of funds under the CRF requirements.
- Occupancy costs incurred as a result of closure and reduced revenues which includes rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance etc.
Eligible Expenses must be consistent with the uses permitted under the Coronavirus Relief Fund (CRF) as defined in guidance and FAQs issued by the U.S. Department of Treasury and updated from time to time. Eligible Entities must familiarize themselves with and adhere to this guidance.Back to top
Ineligible Uses of Program Funds:
Program funds cannot be used for the following purposes:
- Expenses that have been or will be reimbursed by any other source, including other federal, state, local, and charitable sources, such as the FEMA Public Assistance program, PPP, EIDL, Restore RI, RIDOH programs, or other state-sponsored COVID-19 relief programs;
- Reimbursement of donors for donated items or services, previously donated; this includes reimbursement for items purchased by the nonprofit with funds specifically donated and designated for the response to COVID-19;
- Damages covered by insurance;
- Workforce bonuses or severance pay;
- Legal settlements
Application post: November 18, 2020
Applications due: November 28, 2020
Awards announced: December 4, 2020
Funds disbursed: December 4-30, 2020
Applying is easy - get started here:
The deadline to apply was November 28, 2020.
Questions? Most questions should be answered in the FAQs.
Questions? Pease contact Kimberly.McNulty@dem.ri.gov