State Manifest Requirements Important Message for Manifest Users
US EPA revised the Hazardous Waste Manifest Forms used to track hazardous waste from a generator's site to the site of its disposition. Handlers of waste will obtain new forms from any source that has registered with US EPA to print and distribute the form. Please note that existing forms must be used until September 4, 2006, and the new Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest must be used starting on September 5, 2006. This web page explains Rhode Island's manifest requirements.
How do I submit manifest copies to my State?
As of June 7, 2010, the new Rules and Regulations for Hazardous Waste Management came into effect. Generators are no longer required to copy the manifest and send it to the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management.
What makes Rhode Island Special?
The new Federal Manifest will be consistent nationally allowing for more straightforward usage. But, there are a few differences that you as a Rhode Island user should be made aware:
- There is room for six waste codes. Federal waste codes should be used first and the remaining space for state codes.
- State codes R001-R005 and R010 are to be used if Federal codes do not apply.
- The state codes will work on the new Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest in exactly the same way as they functioned on the previous manifest. State codes R011-R016 are to be used for Fee Exempt waste and should be used in addition to federal waste codes.
- In the event that the waste carries more than six waste codes, the generator should select the most appropriate codes for use.
- The transporters, in their quarterly reports, should include all appropriate waste codes, as opposed to just six.
- Section 14 is available for additional information. This section is meant for special handling requirements or additional information if space in not available in a box. If possible, Rhode Island specific waste codes should be entered in Box #13.
Who is my state contact regarding manifest requirements?
401-222-2797 ext. 7134