News and Press

All News

More Tweets

State Beach Season Passes
Air Pollution Control Preconstruction Permits
Air Pollution Control Operating Permits
Freshwater Wetlands
OWTS (Septic) Permitting
OWTS (Septic) Licensing
Stormwater Permitting Info
All Other Water Permits
Aboveground Storage Tank Registration
Underground Storage Tanks
Permitted Waste Transporters
Online Hunting/Fishing/Boating
Rec Freshwater Fishing Licenses
Rec Saltwater Fishing Licenses
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Shellfish Harvester Certification
Boat Registration Renewal
Berthing & Land Management Customer Portal
Online Renewals/Fee Payments
Agriculture Product Permit Renewals
RIPDES Permit Annual Fee Payment Service
Hazardous Waste Transporter Permit Renewals
Medical Waste Generator Registration
UST Registration Renewal
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Dental Amalgam Containing Mercury Waste Recycling Annual Report Form
Online Permit Searches
OWTS (Septic) Permits
Wetlands Permits
Water Quality Certifications / Stormwater Permits
Multi-Sector General Permits
Non-Contact Cooling Water Permits
Remediation General Permits
Other Resources
Application Forms
Permit Application Center
Request a File Review
Rules and Regulations
Report A Stormwater Violation
If you see a stormwater problem or illegal dumping, please contact your municipal stormwater manager.
For immediate assistance contact the RIDEM Office of Compliance and Inspection at (401) 222-1360 or

Image courtesy of

What is an Illicit Discharge?

Only rain belongs in storm drains. Under state and local laws, illegal discharges include:

  • Used motor oil and antifreeze

  • Paint

  • Used cooking oil and grease

  • Soapy wash water

  • Mop sink rinse water

  • Pet waste (including poop bags!)

  • Food waste and wrapping, trash, and cigarette butts

  • Muddy water from disturbed areas and construction sites

  • Concrete mixing rinse water

  • Leaves, grass clippings, and other yard waste

What’s the Problem?

Storm drains rush polluted water directly to the nearest stream or pond without any treatment. That polluted water winds up in the water we drink, fish, and swim. In addition, catch basins clogged with debris, yard waste, and trash can cause roadway flooding or can become a breeding ground for rats and roaches.

What about Construction Sites?

Have you ever seen muddy water flowing to storm drains from nearby construction areas? Construction sites are required to install and maintain control measures that prevent soil erosion.

Learn How to Spot Construction Site Stormwater Violations