Did you know that RIDEM and RIDOH have partnered to monitor the air we breathe in Rhode Island going back to 1968? We are responsible for monitoring ambient air at 7 locations throughout Rhode Island. Watch and learn more!
Air Quality in Rhode Island; Why monitor the air?
- To provide short and long term information regarding air pollution, YOUR health, and the air you breathe
- To determine trends in the data that inform RIDEM which control programs and policies are making a difference and where to focus more attention
- Measurements determine if Rhode Island is in compliance with Federal air quality standards
- RIDEM has been tasked to fulfill monitoring requirements set forth by the Environmental Protection Agency
Rhode Island Air Monitoring Locations
National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS)
|Pollutant||Averaging Time||Primary Standard||Secondary Standard|
|Sulfur Dioxide (SO2)||3-HourA||None||0.5 ppm (1300 μg/m3)|
|1-HourB||0.075 ppm (75 ppb)||None|
|Carbon Monoxide (CO)||8-HourA||9 ppm||None|
|Ozone (O3)||8-HourC||0.070 ppm (70 ppb)||Same as Primary Standard|
|Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2)||Annual Arithmetic Mean||0.053 ppm (53 ppb)||Same as Primary Standard|
|Particulate Matter ≤ 10 micrometers (PM10)||24-HourE||150 μg/m3||Same as Primary Standard|
|Particulate Matter ≤ 2.5 micrometers (PM2.5)||Annual Arithmetic Mean F||12.0 μg/m3||15.0 μg/m3|
|24-HourG||35 μg/m3||Same as Primary Standard|
|Lead (Pb)||Rolling 3-Month AverageH||0.15 μg/m3||Same as Primary Standard|
- Primary standards protect against adverse health effects.
- Secondary standards protect against welfare effects such as damage to crops, vegetation, and buildings.
DEM's daily air quality readings: 1-401-222-2808
ALA's air pollution or lung health information: 1-800-LUNG-USA
State clean air programs: 1-401-222-2808
DEM provides a daily Ozone and Fine Particle forecast all year round.
- Ozone Information
- AIRNOW National
- AIRNOW Rhode Island
- EnviroFlash - Why go searching for the air quality forecast, when it can be sent to you....for free! Click to sign up.
For further information, contact Darren Austin at 401-222-2808 x7430.