Did you know that RIDEM and RIDOH have partnered to monitor the air we breathe in Rhode Island going back to 1968? We are responsible for monitoring ambient air at 7 locations throughout Rhode Island. Watch and learn more!
Air Quality in Rhode Island; Why monitor the air?
- To provide short and long term information regarding air pollution, YOUR health, and the air you breathe
- To determine trends in the data that inform RIDEM which control programs and policies are making a difference and where to focus more attention
- Measurements determine if Rhode Island is in compliance with Federal air quality standards
- RIDEM has been tasked to fulfill monitoring requirements set forth by the Environmental Protection Agency
For more info on air monitoring in RI, view the Rhode Island 2018 Annual Monitoring Network Plan.
Rhode Island Air Monitoring Locations
National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS)
|Pollutant||Averaging Time||Primary Standard||Secondary Standard|
|Sulfur Dioxide (SO2)||3-HourA||None||0.5 ppm (1300 μg/m3)|
|1-HourB||0.075 ppm (75 ppb)||None|
|Carbon Monoxide (CO)||8-HourA||9 ppm||None|
|Ozone (O3)||8-HourC||0.070 ppm (70 ppb)||Same as Primary Standard|
|Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2)||Annual Arithmetic Mean||0.053 ppm (53 ppb)||Same as Primary Standard|
|Particulate Matter ≤ 10 micrometers (PM10)||24-HourE||150 μg/m3||Same as Primary Standard|
|Particulate Matter ≤ 2.5 micrometers (PM2.5)||Annual Arithmetic Mean F||12.0 μg/m3||15.0 μg/m3|
|24-HourG||35 μg/m3||Same as Primary Standard|
|Lead (Pb)||Rolling 3-Month AverageH||0.15 μg/m3||Same as Primary Standard|
- Primary standards protect against adverse health effects.
- Secondary standards protect against welfare effects such as damage to crops, vegetation, and buildings.
DEM's daily air quality readings: 1-401-222-2808
ALA's air pollution or lung health information: 1-800-LUNG-USA
State clean air programs: 1-401-222-2808
DEM provides a daily Ozone and Fine Particle forecast all year round.
- Ozone Information
- AIRNOW National
- AIRNOW Rhode Island
- EnviroFlash - Why go searching for the air quality forecast, when it can be sent to you....for free! Click to sign up.
For further information, contact Darren Austin at 401-222-2808 x7430.