Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA)
The Diesel Emission Reduction Act (DERA), contained within the Energy Policy Act of 2005, provides grants and loans to states and other eligible entities to achieve significant reductions in diesel emissions. DEM receives funds from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) through the State DERA Program. From time to time, project proposals have been solicited from municipalities, organizations, and individuals for diesel reduction projects that are environmentally and economically beneficial.
Eligibility and Projects
Applicants eligible to apply for the State DERA Fund include, but are not limited to independent owner operators (IOOs), fleet operators, local businesses, municipalities, and others that meet the program requirements.
Equipment eligible for grant funding shall meet the following requirements:
On Road Diesel Vehicle
- Buses, medium duty trucks, and heavy-duty trucks (Class 5 through Class 8)
- Be registered with the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles;
- Be kept or garaged in Rhode Island as indicated on the vehicle registration issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles; and
- The applicant shall certify to the Department on the application that fifty percent (50%) or more of the vehicle miles traveled, or hours of operation, shall be projected to be in Rhode Island for at least five (5) years following the reimbursement grant award.
- Be registered with the Department’s Office of Boat Registration or with the Coast Guard (Documentation is required);
- Be used to provide goods and/or services to Rhode Island residents;
- If the vessel is identified as a commercial fishing vessel at least fifty prevent (50%) or more of the fish landed in the last year were in Rhode Island ports; and
- The applicant must commit to reporting usage information for at least five (5) years following the reimbursement grant award.
For 2020 the following types of projects are eligible to receive monies from the State DERA Fund:
- On Road Vehicle Replacements (Diesel, Alternative Fuel, Low NOx, All-Electric); and
- Marine Engine Replacement (Diesel, Alternative Fuel, Low NOx);
All interested parties must submit an application once the Department issues a Request for Proposals (RFP). Applications will be evaluated based on the project's ability to cost effectively reduce emissions as well as other factors.
The Department will contact successful applicants about their award status once a decision has been made. The applicant is not to make any purchases and start the project until after the Grant Agreement has been signed and a Project Confirmation Letter has been issued. Please be aware that the Department and the State of Rhode Island take no responsibility for project work done outside the term or scope of a valid grant agreement or prior to a full approval of an agreement.
Any questions or applications on the State DERA Fund can be submitted via email to Madeline Haines at Madeline.Haines@dem.ri.gov.
- October 1, 2020 – Request for Proposals and application is released
- November 2, 2020 – Deadline for application submission
- 2020-2021 DERA RFP
- DERA On-Road Application
- DERA Marine Application
- 2020 State Clean Diesel Fact Sheet
- State Clean Diesel Program Guide
|$51,469||Booth Fisheries, Inc.||Marine vessel replacement of 1 engine|
|$15,190||D.B.A. F/V Blue Moon||Marine vessel replacement of 1 engine|
|$89,250||Cranston Public Schools (Transportation Office)||Vehicle replacements of 3 school buses|
|$40,800||Foley Fisheries||Engine replacement of 1 marine vessel|
|$102,680||Frances Fleet Inc.||Marine vessel replacement of 3 engines|
|$50,220||University of Rhode Island (College of Environment and Life Sciences)||Engine repower of 1 marine research vessel|
|$60,000||RIDOT||Vehicle replacement of 1 highway dump truck/plow/sander|
|$112,837||Cranston Public Schools (Transportation Office)||Vehicle replacements of 6 school buses|
|$110,680||Rhode Island Airport Corporation||Retrofit of 39 airport ground support equipment|
|$9,468||City of Warwick - Department of Public Works||Vehicle Replacement|
|$127,732||Community College of Rhode Island||Vehicle replacements of two dump trucks/snow plows|
|$94,224||City of Warwick - Fire Deparment||Vehicle replacement of two rescue trucks|
|$12,984||City of Central Falls - Department of Public Works||Exhaust retrofits of 6 vehicles|
|$88,000||Town of Bristol - Fire Department||Vehicle replacement of 1 rescue truck|
|$193,808||City of Pawtucket - Fire Department||Vehicle replacement of 1 ladder truck|
|$118,750||City of Providence - Fire Department||Vehicle replacement of 1 pumper truck|
|$150,000||Town of Johnston||Vehicle replacement of 1 ladder truck|
|$57,061*||Port of Galilee||Shore power installation. *State match of $235,294|
|$132,444||City of Pawtucket - Fire Department||Vehicle replacement of 1 pumper truck|
|$44,2200||City of Pawtucket - Office of Public Works Center||Vehicle replacement of 1 highway dump truck/plow/sander|