News and Press

All News

More Tweets

State Beach Season Passes
Air Pollution Control Preconstruction Permits
Air Pollution Control Operating Permits
Freshwater Wetlands
OWTS (Septic) Permitting
OWTS (Septic) Licensing
Stormwater Permitting Info
All Other Water Permits
Aboveground Storage Tank Registration
Underground Storage Tanks
Permitted Waste Transporters
Online Hunting/Fishing/Boating
Rec Freshwater Fishing Licenses
Rec Saltwater Fishing Licenses
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Shellfish Harvester Certification
Boat Registration Renewal
Berthing & Land Management Customer Portal
Online Renewals/Fee Payments
Agriculture Product Permit Renewals
RIPDES Permit Annual Fee Payment Service
Hazardous Waste Transporter Permit Renewals
Medical Waste Generator Registration
UST Registration Renewal
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Dental Amalgam Containing Mercury Waste Recycling Annual Report Form
Online Permit Searches
OWTS (Septic) Permits
Wetlands Permits
Water Quality Certifications / Stormwater Permits
Multi-Sector General Permits
Non-Contact Cooling Water Permits
Remediation General Permits
Other Resources
Application Forms
Permit Application Center
Request a File Review
Rules and Regulations

Hazardous Waste

Tracey Tyrrell, Supervisor
235 Promenade Street
Providence, RI 02908-5767
(401) 222-1360 ext. 2777407
fax 222-3811
Contact OC&I via E-Mail

  • Drum labels
  • Hazardous Waste
  • Hazardous Waste
  • Hazardous Waste
  • Hazardous Waste
  • Oil Barrels

This program performs compliance evaluation inspections of businesses that generate hazardous waste and investigates citizen complaints alleging the mismanagement of hazardous waste. The program also receives referrals from DEM divisions and offices relating to evaluations of hazardous waste transfer and storage facilities. There are more than three thousand (3,000) companies in the State that generate or manage hazardous waste.


In the event of a fire, spill or unplanned release involving hazardous waste or materials, you are required to immediately notify RIDEM’s Emergency Response Program by calling 401-222-1360 (business hours) or 401-222-3070 (after hours).

Learn more about the ER program.

Hazardous Waste Generators may register as an Industry User in EPA’s database called RCRA Info. Register at In this system Generators can request a new EPA Identification Number (MyRCRAid), update an existing EPA Identification Number, submit Biennial Reports (LQGs only) and utilize the new electronic manifest (E-Manifest) tracking system. Instructions on how to register are provided in the file below entitled “MyRCRAid”.

A new system is available online on EPA’s website which allows any person to obtain an Emergency EPA Identification Number 24-hours a day. This number may ONLY be used to ship hazardous waste generated during a spill response incident. The Emergency ID Numbers are NOT for routine or planned waste shipments. If you require a Temporary EPA Identification Number for a routine shipment, please call this Office at 401-222-1360 during business hours. To obtain an emergency number use the link below, then select “Rhode Island” and then click the continue button.

Emergency Site ID Request





Report an Environmental Complaint

DEM's Office of Compliance and Inspection (OC&I) investigates complaints and suspected violations of environmental laws and regulations and performs compliance monitoring of regulated activities. Compliance with environmental laws, rules, regulations, permits and licenses is enforced through both informal and formal enforcement actions. Note: Complaints are public records and information you forward to OC&I will be available for public review UNLESS you advise us that you wish to remain anonymous.

Report via Email

After hours emergency: 401-222-3070

Contact Compliance and Inspection
David E. Chopy, Administrator
235 Promenade St.
Providence, RI 02908
(401) 222-1360 ext. 2777400
Fax: 222-3811