News and Press

All News

More Tweets

Freshwater Wetlands
Septic (ISDS/OWTS) Systems Permits
Septic (ISDS/OWTS) Licenses
All Other Water Permits
Underground Storage Tanks
Aboveground Storage Tank Registration
Stormwater Permitting Info
Air Pollution Control Preconstruction Permits
Air Pollution Control Operating Permits
Permitted Waste Transporters
Online Services
Boat Registration Renewal
Recreational Freshwater Fishing Licenses
Recreational Saltwater Fishing Licenses
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Septic (OWTS) Permit Search After 1990
Septic (OWTS) Permit Search Before 1990
Wetlands Permit Search
Multi-Sector General Permit Search
Non-Contact Cooling Water Permit Search
Remediation General Permit Search
UST Registration Renewal
Hazardous Waste Transporter Permit Renewals
Medical Waste Generator Registration
Agriculture Product Permit Renewals
Other Resources
Request a File Review
Permit Application Center
Application Forms
Rules and Regulations

Stormwater Construction Permitting Information

STREAMLINED CONSTRUCTION PERMITTING – The Office of Water Resources has merged several application forms into one application for stormwater construction permitting.  The new form consolidates the application forms for Water Quality Certification (WQC) Application, Underground Injection Control (UIC), and RIPDES Construction General Permit (CGP). 


YES, If there are Freshwater Wetlands on the property, AND the project proposes any of the following:

  • New or increased impervious cover for property other than a single family home; or
  • Disturbance of more than 10,000 sq. ft. of existing impervious cover; or
  • Fill in any amount in a floodplain or;
  • An alteration of storm flowage to a river or stream or wetland on any lot.

Instructions: For this case you must apply to Freshwater Wetlands and include this Stormwater Construction  / WQC Application in the same submittal. A single permit will be issued from the Office of Water Resources.

YES, If the project requires an application to the CRMC, AND proposes (see Water Quality Regulations):

  • A residential development of 6 units or more: or
  • A project that results in the creation of 10,000 sq. ft. or more of impervious cover

YES, If the project proposes an infiltration system(s) listed in section 5.3 of the RISDISM (i.e. infiltration trench, infiltration basin, UIC chamber or dry well) that receives stormwater from (see UIC Regulations):

  • A residential impervious area that is more than 10,000 sq. ft.; or
  • A non-residential roof area greater than 10,000 sq. ft; or
  • Any non-residential (commercial, industrial, institutional…) road or parking area of any size
  • Please indicate if the treatment system discharges:
  • Below the ground (UIC); or
  • Above the ground and infiltrates (not UIC), but must be reviewed for compliance with the RISDISM to be protective of groundwater.

YES, if the project proposes discharge of stormwater, directed to a water of the State (including a Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) (see RIPDES Construction General Permit).

  • Disturbs > 1 acre of property (meaning, disturbance down to the erodible surface); or
  • Disturbs less than 1 acre, but the activity is part of a larger common plan resulting in more than one acre of disturbance.

The Freshwater Wetlands (FWW), Water Quality Certification (WQC), Groundwater Discharge/Underground Injection Control (GWD/UIC), and the Rhode Island Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (RIPDES) Programs all require the use of the RI Stormwater Manual.

PRE-APPLICATION MEETINGS RECOMMENDED - OWR highly recommends that you arrange for a pre-application meeting to meet with the pertinent representatives from the OWR permitting programs during the planning and design phase of the project. To schedule a pre-application meeting with DEM, please contact Ron Gagnon, P.E. Chief of the Office of Customer and Technical Assistance at or (401) 222-4700 ext.7500.




Click here for sites under 1 acres