Stormwater Construction Permitting Information
Re-issuance of Construction General Permit
RIPDES General Permit for Stormwater Discharge Associated with Construction Activity
The RIPDES General Permit for Stormwater Discharge Associated with Construction Activity (Construction General Permit) has been re-issued for a two-year period, effective September 26, 2018, to provide or continue coverage for stormwater discharges from construction activity disturbing one or more acres. No significant changes were made to the re-issued Construction General Permit, and no action is required for existing permit holders to maintain authorization.
STREAMLINED CONSTRUCTION PERMITTING – The Office of Water Resources has merged several application forms into one application for stormwater construction permitting. The new form consolidates the application forms for Water Quality Certification (WQC) Application, Underground Injection Control (UIC), and RIPDES Construction General Permit (CGP).
AM I REQUIRED TO APPLY?
YES, If there are Freshwater Wetlands on the property, AND the project proposes any of the following:
- New or increased impervious cover for property other than a single family home; or
- Disturbance of more than 10,000 sq. ft. of existing impervious cover; or
- Fill in any amount in a floodplain or;
- An alteration of storm flowage to a river or stream or wetland on any lot.
Instructions: For this case you must apply to Freshwater Wetlands and include this Stormwater Construction / WQC Application in the same submittal. A single permit will be issued from the Office of Water Resources.
YES, If the project requires an application to the CRMC, AND proposes (see Water Quality Regulations):
- A residential development of 6 units or more: or
- A project that results in the creation of 10,000 sq. ft. or more of impervious cover
YES, If the project proposes an infiltration system(s) listed in section 5.3 of the RISDISM (i.e. infiltration trench, infiltration basin, UIC chamber or dry well) that receives stormwater from (see UIC Regulations):
- A residential impervious area that is more than 10,000 sq. ft.; or
- A non-residential roof area greater than 10,000 sq. ft; or
- Any non-residential (commercial, industrial, institutional…) road or parking area of any size
- Please indicate if the treatment system discharges:
- Below the ground (UIC); or
- Above the ground and infiltrates (not UIC), but must be reviewed for compliance with the RISDISM to be protective of groundwater.
YES, if the project proposes discharge of stormwater, directed to a water of the State (including a Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) (see RIPDES Construction General Permit).
- Disturbs > 1 acre of property (meaning, disturbance down to the erodible surface); or
- Disturbs less than 1 acre, but the activity is part of a larger common plan resulting in more than one acre of disturbance.
The Freshwater Wetlands (FWW), Water Quality Certification (WQC), Groundwater Discharge/Underground Injection Control (GWD/UIC), and the Rhode Island Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (RIPDES) Programs all require the use of the RI Stormwater Manual.
PRE-APPLICATION MEETINGS RECOMMENDED - OWR highly recommends that you arrange for a pre-application meeting to meet with the pertinent representatives from the OWR permitting programs during the planning and design phase of the project. To schedule a pre-application meeting with DEM, please contact Ron Gagnon, P.E. Chief of the Office of Customer and Technical Assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org or (401) 222-4700 ext.7500.
APPLICATIONS and FORMS
- Application for Stormwater Construction Permit & Water Quality Certification
- Freshwater Wetlands Application(s)
- Notice of Start of Construction Form
- Notice of Termination (NOT) Form
- Stormwater Management, Design, and Installation Rules (250-RICR-150-10-8)
- Stormwater Design and Installation Standards Manual (amended 2015)
- RIPDES Construction General Permit (CGP)
- Coordinated Stormwater Permitting
- Stormwater Management Plan Guidance
- Updated!Appendix A Checklist
- Appendix A Map Tutorial
- Suggestions to Promote Brevity of Designer's Drainage Analysis Submittals
- Preparation of Subwatershed Maps
- Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Plan Template
STORMWATER ANALYSIS & DESIGN GUIDANCE DOCUMENTS
- Stormwater Guidance for Single Family Lots
- Stormwater Treatment Area Calculator
- Channel Protection (CPv) Guidance
- Redevelopment Criteria Guidance
- Waste Management Sites Stormwater Guidance
- Auto Fueling Stormwater Guidance
- Flow Splitting Guidance
- Separation from Groundwater Guidance
- Water Quality Goals for Stormwater Discharges to Impaired Waters
- Guidance Pertaining to Floodplain and Floodways