News and Press

All News

More Tweets

Freshwater Wetlands
Septic (ISDS/OWTS) Systems Permits
Septic (ISDS/OWTS) Licenses
All Other Water Permits
Underground Storage Tanks
Aboveground Storage Tank Registration
Stormwater Permitting Info
Air Pollution Control Preconstruction Permits
Air Pollution Control Operating Permits
Permitted Waste Transporters
Online Services
Boat Registration Renewal
Recreational Freshwater Fishing Licenses
Recreational Saltwater Fishing Licenses
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Septic (OWTS) Permit Search After 1990
Septic (OWTS) Permit Search Before 1990
Wetlands Permit Search
Multi-Sector General Permit Search
Non-Contact Cooling Water Permit Search
Remediation General Permit Search
UST Registration Renewal
Hazardous Waste Transporter Permit Renewals
Medical Waste Generator Registration
Agriculture Product Permit Renewals
Other Resources
Request a File Review
Permit Application Center
Application Forms
Rules and Regulations

401 Water Quality Certification

Notice of Public Meeting

Public Hearing on Water Quality Certification Application for National Grid LNG, LLC: Wednesday, January 31 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM | Veterans Memorial Auditorium, One Avenue of the Arts, Providence, RI.
DEM's Office of Water Resources has under consideration the application of National Grid LNG, LLC requesting a State of Rhode Island Water Quality Certification. The purpose of this hearing is to extend the public comment period and to invite both written and oral comment from interested parties related to the Water Quality Certification Application File Number 16-171; RIR101477.
View more information on public hearing.

This program is responsible for ensuring compliance with the State Water Quality Regulations for projects that impact inland & coastal waters by fulfilling the requirements of Section 401 of the Clean Water Act. The Act requires the State to certify all Projects that involve dredge, fill, or flow alterations as well as some coastal projects that include site disturbances. Ultimately, 401 has authority over any activity that has the reasonable potential to discharge polltants into waters of the State. These activities are administered under other programs within the Office of Water Resources, like Wastewater Treatment Discharges under RIPDES, Underground Injection, and Stormwater.

Activities Regulated under the Water Quality Certification Program?

Dredging incoporates many different regulatory agencies. The Office of Water evaluates dredge activities for the following:

  • water quality impacts from dredging (the possibility of creating anoxic zones)
  • water quality impacts from scow overflow and turbidity increases
  • the need for shellfish transplants when a dense population is dredged
  • work windows to protect anadromous and resident fisheries
  • disposal locations that may endanger public or private drinking water wells


Harbor Management Plans

For more information contact: Neal Personeus




Office of Water Resources
235 Promenade Street
Providence, RI 02908-5767
Phone: (401) 222-3961
Fax: (401) 222-3564