Local Agriculture and Seafood Act (LASA) Grants Program
The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, Division of Agriculture is accepting grant applications for the Local Agriculture and Seafood Act Grants Program. The goal of the program, which was established by the Local Agriculture and Seafood Act (LASA) of 2012, is to support the growth, development, and marketing of local food and seafood in Rhode Island. It is made possible by $100,000 in funding from the State of Rhode Island, and an additional $130,000 in matching funds from the Henry P. Kendall Foundation, the van Beuren Charitable Foundation, and the Rhode Island Foundation. This unique and unprecedented public-private partnership will provide grants intended to directly benefit and strengthen the local food system in Rhode Island.
Project priorities for the 2018 LASA Grants Program include:
- Supporting the entry, growth and sustainability of small or beginning agriculture producers (including aquaculture producers) and fishermen/women;
- Fostering new collaborations or sharing new information among Rhode Island producers and producer-supporting organizations;
- Supporting new products or new sales channels with clearly defined markets, including institutional purchasing of local food;
- Enhancing access to and availability of agricultural land for producers, including farm transition planning and implementation;
- Addressing gap areas or implementation needs identified in Rhode Island’s Food Strategy Relish Rhody.
About the application
Please note that the online application is strongly preferred; it must, however, be completed in one sitting. We recommend that you look at the questions and prepare your short answer responses and any additional documents for attachments ahead of time, before you begin to fill out the application form for submission. If you prepare answers in a word processing program such as Word, you should be able to copy and paste your answers into the online form.
Please see the LASA Grant Guidelines and Instructions for additional information.