Local Agriculture and Seafood Act (LASA) Grants Program
The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, Division of Agriculture has finished accepting all applications for the 2018 Local Agriculture and Seafood Act Grants Program. The goal of the program, which was established by the Local Agriculture and Seafood Act (LASA) of 2012, is to support the growth, development, and marketing of local food and seafood in Rhode Island. It is made possible by $100,000 in funding from the State of Rhode Island, and an additional $130,000 in matching funds from the Henry P. Kendall Foundation, the van Beuren Charitable Foundation, and the Rhode Island Foundation. This unique and unprecedented public-private partnership will provide grants intended to directly benefit and strengthen the local food system in Rhode Island.
Project priorities for the 2018 LASA Grants Program include:
- Supporting the entry, growth and sustainability of small or beginning agriculture producers (including aquaculture producers) and fishermen/women;
- Fostering new collaborations or sharing new information among Rhode Island producers and producer-supporting organizations;
- Supporting new products or new sales channels with clearly defined markets, including institutional purchasing of local food;
- Enhancing access to and availability of agricultural land for producers, including farm transition planning and implementation;
- Addressing gap areas or implementation needs identified in Rhode Island’s Food Strategy Relish Rhody.
The application is CLOSED for the LASA Grants Program 2018. Applications were due by 11:59 pm on March 1, 2018.