Rabies is a serious disease that is both contagious and, without timely preventative treatment, universally fatal in humans and all mammals. Luckily, through vaccination efforts and rapid response to isolated situations, rabies is rare in the United States, but it should not be taken lightly.
Veterinarians, livestock owners, pet owners and licensed facilities are required to report rabies directly to the State Veterinarian's office at (401) 222-2781.
Please see our list of resources for more information on rabies and how you can help prevent its spread.
- Rabies Testing Information for Pet & Livestock Owners/FAQs
- Rabies Contact Information
- 2016 Rabies Protocol Manual
- Rabies Vaccination Variance Guidance
- DEM Offers Advice on Pet Adoptions