News and Press

All News

More Tweets

State Beach Season Passes
Air Pollution Control Preconstruction Permits
Air Pollution Control Operating Permits
Freshwater Wetlands
OWTS (Septic) Permitting
OWTS (Septic) Licensing
Stormwater Permitting Info
All Other Water Permits
Aboveground Storage Tank Registration
Underground Storage Tanks
Permitted Waste Transporters
Online Hunting/Fishing/Boating
Rec Freshwater Fishing Licenses
Rec Saltwater Fishing Licenses
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Shellfish Harvester Certification
Boat Registration Renewal
Berthing & Land Management Customer Portal
Online Renewals/Fee Payments
Agriculture Product Permit Renewals
RIPDES Permit Annual Fee Payment Service
Hazardous Waste Transporter Permit Renewals
Medical Waste Generator Registration
UST Registration Renewal
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Dental Amalgam Containing Mercury Waste Recycling Annual Report Form
Online Permit Searches
OWTS (Septic) Permits
Wetlands Permits
Water Quality Certifications / Stormwater Permits
Multi-Sector General Permits
Non-Contact Cooling Water Permits
Remediation General Permits
Other Resources
Application Forms
Permit Application Center
Request a File Review
Rules and Regulations

Handgun Safety Certification (Blue Card)

Jump to:
Frequently Asked Questions Schedule A Testing Date

Possession of a Pistol/Revolver Safety Certificate, also known as the "blue card," is a required document as part of the process to purchase a handgun in Rhode Island. The blue card certifies that the applicant has successfully passed the State's requisite handgun safety exam. Booklets, testing, and certification are offered free of charge. There is no fee for the exam.

Where can I take an exam?

The Blue Card test is administered at RIDEM-approved firearms dealers and sporting clubs throughout the state.In-person exams are also administered Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 AM-3:00 PM at the DEM's Permit Application Center (PAC) at DEM Headquarters, 235 Promenade Street, Providence, RI. The PAC office is located in Suite 260. Registration is required. Schedule an exam testing date. The Blue Card testing locations cannot issue the blue cards and must submit them to RIDEM for grading and issuance of the results.

List of Blue Card Testing Locations

What is a blue card?

Any citizen of the United States and/or lawful resident of this state who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older, and any nonresident member of the United States armed forces, may apply to purchase a pistol or revolver. At the time of application to purchase a pistol or revolver, among other requirements, the applicant must present to the dealer a Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (RIDEM) Pistol/Revolver Safety Certificate (“blue card”).

Is the blue card the same as the Concealed Carry Permit?

No. The blue card is not equivalent to the Concealed Carry Permit. The Concealed Carry Permit is issued through town halls and the RI Attorney Generals Office.

Who is exempt from the exam?

The blue card certifies that the applicant has successfully passed the State’s requisite safety exam. Active military personnel are not required to have a blue card to purchase a firearms, but may acquire a blue card by presenting their active military identification card at either the RIDEM Division of Fish & Wildlife Great Swamp Field Headquarters at 277 Great Neck Road, West Kingston or the RIDEM Headquarters at 235 Promenade Street, Providence.

Persons exempt from the Blue Card Certification requirement are active military, active military reserve, or persons on active duty paid status in the RI National Guard as long as they remain in active status.

Law enforcement professionals, such as sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, state police, prison wardens or their deputies, city or town police, environmental police officers, airport police and officers of the United States government authorized by law to carry a concealed firearm shall be issued a Blue Card Certification without taking the test. At the Department's discretion, persons who can satisfactorily establish that he or she formerly held one of these offices or were so authorized shall also be issued a Blue Card Certification without taking the test. Proof of current or prior employment must be accompanied by a photo ID to obtain a Blue Card.

I have a RI Hunter Education card, do I need to obtain a blue card?

No. A Rhode Island Hunter Education Course Card (“orange card”) issued by the RIDEM Division of Fish & Wildlife Hunter Education Program can be used in lieu of a blue card to purchase a handgun (RIGL §11-47-35). The Hunter Education Course Card is proof of successful completion of a R.I. Hunter Safety Course required of hunters. Learn more about the Rhode Island Hunter Education Program.

How can I study for the exam?

The 50-question exam is comprised of multiple choice and true-or-false type questions based on information contained in the study booklet entitled Today’s Handgun Safety Basics" and Rhode Island Firearms Laws. The booklet is available at participating firearm vendors or by emailing the RIDEM Division of Fish and Wildlife at The examination and study booklet is available in Spanish.

After I take the exam, how long does it take to obtain my card?

After completion of the exam, it will be sent to the RIDEM Division of Fish & Wildlife for processing. A score of 80 points or higher is required to pass. More than two (2) cross-off, self-corrections on the test will result in an automatic fail. In the event of a failing score, a notice of failure will be sent instead of a blue card.

The tests are typically processed within one business day after being received from the vendor. It can take a few weeks to travel in the mail. To ensure the quickest possible processing time, please be sure to print your name and mailing address clearly, in block letters on the test answer sheet. Be sure to include an apartment or floor number if applicable.

If it has been more than 3 weeks, you can check the status of your blue card by emailing

My card is lost/damaged. How can I get a replacement?

In general, records of blue card tests are not kept and you may need to retake the test if you have lost your blue card. If you have a picture or photocopy of your bluecard and need a replacement, you can email the picture to the Division and have a new one mailed to you. Blue cards can be laminated to prevent damage. Contact the RIDEM Division of Fish and Wildlife at to verify if you need to retake a test due to a lost card or to replace a worn blue card.

My name is spelled wrong on my card. How can I get a replacement?

To request a replacement blue card, contact the RIDEM Division of Fish and Wildlife at

Freshwater Fisheries & Wildlife
Phillip Edwards, Chief Christine Dudley, Deputy Chief, Freshwater & Diadromous Fisheries
Jay Osenkowski, Deputy Chief, Wildlife
Phone: 1-401-789-0281
Fax: 1-401-783-7490

Aquatic Resource Education (ARE) and Hunter Safety Education
Phone: 1-401-539-0019
Fax: 1-401-539-0453

Marine Fisheries
Phone: 1-401-423-1923
Fax: 1-401-423-1925