News and Press

All News

More Tweets

Air Pollution Control Preconstruction Permits
Air Pollution Control Operating Permits
Freshwater Wetlands
Septic (ISDS/OWTS) Records
Septic (ISDS/OWTS) Licensing
Stormwater Permitting Info
All Other Water Permits
Aboveground Storage Tank Registration
Underground Storage Tanks
Permitted Waste Transporters
Online Hunting/Fishing
Boat Registration Renewal
Rec Freshwater Fishing Licenses
Rec Saltwater Fishing Licenses
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Shellfish Harvester Certification
Online Renewals
Agriculture Product Permit Renewals
Hazardous Waste Transporter Permit Renewals
Medical Waste Generator Registration
UST Registration Renewal
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Online Permit Searches
Multi-Sector General Permits
Non-Contact Cooling Water Permits
Septic (OWTS) Records After 1990
Septic (OWTS) Records Before 1990
Wetlands Permits
Remediation General Permits
Other Resources
Application Forms
Permit Application Center
Request a File Review
Rules and Regulations

Frequently Asked Questions regarding Freshwater Fisheries

Q. What is the open season for trout, salmon, and charr?
A.Opening day is 6:00 AM on the second Saturday of April every year and continues until midnight the last day in February annually.

Q. Does Rhode Island stock ponds?
A. There are designated trout waters that are stocked with trout annually just prior to opening day. Some are stocked two or three times in the spring and once in the fall.

Q. At what age does an angler need a fishing license?
A. Licenses are required of anglers fifteen (15) years of age and older.

Q. Are there "KIDS ONLY" ponds?
A. Yes! The following trout-stocked waters are restricted to fishing by people fourteen years of age and younger: Lloyd Kenney Pond in Hopkinton; Frosty Hollow Pond in Exeter; Geneva Brook & Pond in North Providence; Lapham Pond in Burrillville; Seidel's Pond in Cranston; and Silvy's Pond in Cumberland. The following two ponds are restricted to persons fourteen years of age and younger only for the first two days of the season (second Saturday in April): Cass Pond in Woonsocket, Slater Park Pond in Pawtucket, and Ponderosa Pond in Little Compton. Fishing licenses are not required of any person under 15 years of age.

Q. Where can I purchase a fishing license?
A. Online at or at approved sales vendors which include some cities and towns, as well as bait and tackle and sporting goods stores.

Q. Which Rhode Island ponds have reciprocal license privileges with abutting states?
A. Killingly Pond, Hazard Pond, and Peck Pond have license reciprocity with Connecticut. Wallum Lake have license reciprocity with Massachusetts.

Q. When does the freshwater fishing license expire?
A. Freshwater fishing licenses expire at midnight on the last day of February annually.

Q. What are the dates of the FREE FISHING DAYS?
A. On the first full weekend of May each year, neither a Rhode Island resident nor a resident of any other state is required to possess a freshwater fishing license or a trout conservation stamp.

Q. Do I need a trout stamp?
A. A trout conservation stamp ($5.50) is required of any person wishing to keep or possess a trout, salmon, or charr caught in Rhode Island waters or by any person fishing in a "catch-and-release" or "fly-fishing ONLY" area.

Q. Who DOES NOT need a trout stamp?
A. Minors under 15 years of age; RI residents over 65 years of age; persons with a 100% disability; landowner and members of their family when fishing from property on which they are actually domiciled; persons possessing trout taken from a lake or pond which shares a border with a neighboring state; persons possessing privately-owned trout caught in privately-owned ponds.

Q. Where can I get a RI trout stamp?
A. You can purchase trout stamps online at or from any city or town clerk, or a license agent authorized to sell hunting and fishing licenses.

Q. Are designated trout ponds ever closed?
A. Yes, fishing in designated trout ponds is prohibited from March 1 up to opening day annually. Opening day is the second Saturday in April annually.

Q. Can I use corn for bait in any trout waters?
A. NO.

Q. Can I chum in trout waters?
A. NO.


Rev. 6/3/16