DEM’s GREEN SPACE GRANT PROGRAMS fund land conservation, recreational land acquisition and development, and recreational trail development and improvements. Each of these programs operates under a set of rules and regulations with Committee and Department oversight. The grant programs rely on State bond funding and Federal program funds. All funds require a local matching contribution which might be fulfilled with in-kind services or cash match from the grant applicant. Eligible applicants and matching fund requirements vary by program. Please review each program carefully to determine if your organization and project is eligible for funding. DEM Staff is available to guide you in this process and to help you get started.
LOCAL OPEN SPACE GRANTS
The 2022 Open Space Grant round has been awarded! View Awardees
This grant program provides up to 50% matching funds to municipalities, land trusts and non-profit conservation land organizations to preserve valuable open space throughout the state. Applications are scored by the Rhode Island Natural Heritage Preservation Commission Advisory Committee and submitted to the Natural Heritage Preservation Commission for approval.
- A maximum of 50% of the approved appraised value, up to a per-project cap of $400,000 has been awarded
- Awardees are also eligible for reimbursement of up to 50% of appraisal, title, and survey costs associated with the project
- Rules and Regulations for the Rhode Island Natural Heritage Preservation Commission
- Grant Scoring Criteria
FORMS FOR GRANT AWARDEES
- Standard Conservation Easement Form
- Management Plan Guidelines
- Certificate of Authority
- Certificate of Disclosure
For questions or to submit an application, contact Michelle Sheehan at email@example.com or 401-222-4700 ext. 2774436
OUTDOOR RECREATION GRANTS
The 2022 Recreation Grant round has been awarded! View Awardees
This grant program provides matching funds to cities and towns and recognized Native American tribes for the acquisition, development and renovation of outdoor recreational lands and facilities. The program is funded through State bonds. Funding categories include Large Recreation Development grants (up to 80% matching funds to a maximum of $400,000), Small Recreation Development Grants (up to 80% matching funds to a maximum of $100,000), and Recreation Acquisition grants (up to 50% matching funds to a maximum of $400,000). Applications are scored by the Recreation Resources Review Committee and submitted to the DEM Director for approval.
10/20/21 Pre-Application Workshop
- Bond Regulations
- 2022 Grant Instruction Sheet and Application Form
- Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP)
- Certification Compliance Form
- Guidelines for posting Green Space Signs
- Checklist for Recreation Acquisition Grant Reimbursement Requests
- Checklist for Recreation Development Reimbursement Requests
- Final Report Template
PREVIOUS GRANT AWARDS:
- 2022 Recreation Grant Awards
- 2020 Recreation Grant Awards
- 2018 Recreation Grant Awards
- 2016 Recreation Grant Awards
- Fact Sheet
- Scoring Sheet
- Rules and Regulations Governing the Recreational Trails Program (250-RICR-110-00-6)
- Federal Highway Administration Guidelines
- TAC Meeting Schedule & Minutes
For questions, contact Lisa McGreavy at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 401-222-4700 ext. 2777611
RECREATIONAL TRAIL GRANTS
The 2021 Recreational Trail Grant round has closed
The Recreational Trails Program provides financial assistance to municipalities and non-profit organizations for the development and maintenance of recreational trails and trail-related projects. This federally funded program receives its funding from a portion of federal gas taxes paid on fuel. 2021 Recreational Trail Awards funded by the Program were announced in June 2021.
The next grant round is pending Rhode Island receiving allocation of funds from the Federal Highway Administration.
DEM held a pre-application training workshop remotely on Wednesday, December 2, 2020 beginning at 1:30 PM. The workshop was conducted via ZOOM.
For questions, contact Lisa McGreavy at email@example.com or 401-222-4700 ext. 2777611