OWTS Professional Licensing
Permitting activities are divided into three main stages: site-suitability, design review, and construction inspection.
- Site-suitability is a preliminary stage which assesses the suitability of a parcel of property for on-site sewage disposal.
- Design review entails a review to determine a design's compliance with State standards, rule, and regulations including setbacks to drinking water wells, water supplies, and sensitive water bodies. Proper design and installation is essential to protect public health and avert the potential adverse impacts of OWTS on water resources.
- Construction inspections are conducted during installation in addition to the inspections conducted by the Designer.
Annually, the program undertakes approximately 2,300 suitability assessments, 5,000 permit reviews, and 11,600 inspections. Additionally, the program has developed a process for approving innovative septic system technology. As a result of 1997 revisions to the OWTS legislation, a licensing program (including training and examination) for private-sector professional designers and installers is being created in order to allow RIDEM staff to concentrate on major projects and proactive planning and policy development.
Exams and Workshops:
- Continuing Education Opportunities
- URI Soils Workshops
- Exam Schedule for OWTS Licensing
- Approved Soil Courses (CL-IV Exam Eligibility)
- Designer Exam Study Guides:
OWTS Licensing Forms
- List of Licensed OWTS Installers
- List of Licensed OWTS Designers and Soil Evaluators
- BSF Trained Installers & Designers
- OWTS Licensing Disciplinary Actions
- Groundwater Table Adjustment Factors
- Septic System Checkup Manual
- System Suitability Determination Guide
- Soil Evaluation Guidance
- Guidelines for the Design, Use, and Maintenance of Pressurized Drainfields - November 2013
- Exam Eligibility Fact Sheet
- URI Septic System Fact Sheets
- Water Softener Backwash BMPs
- Financial Assistance for Septic System Repairs
- Obtaining a Permit for a New Home's Septic System
- OWTS Application for Repair
- Home Improvement- Application for Alteration to a Structure
- Home Improvement- Residential OWTS Suitability Determination
- Wet Season Groundwater Table Monitoring
- 2002 EPA Design Manual
- Septic System Checkup
- Summary of R.I. Municipal Onsite Wastewater Programs
New England Onsite Wastewater Training Program